Have you heard how good meditation is for you? It calms your central nervous system, balances out your brain waves, and allows you to come to a place of peace. It takes practice so get started now and you will be on your way to enlightenment. Here are a few tips to get started.
1. When: I enjoy an early morning practice. When you wake you are already pretty calm and you can go deeper and more easily into the meditation. Ideally going to bed at 9-10pm and waking at 5-6am is the best for maximum energy.
- Upon first waking before moving at all bring your mind and heart to a place of gratitude. Usually we go to our to do list or busy thinking. Going to gratitude first will set you up for a gracious day.
- Next scrap your tongue to get rid of the toxins. The tongue is a filter and eliminates toxins so scrapping those off is helpful. Then you can taste your food better too and deeply listen to what your body needs. Your tongue is a very advanced organ that is connected to your whole body. When you put something on your tongue, Your tongue will tell you whether it is good for you or not.
- Third, drink warm water up to 1.5 liters to fully eliminate. This also gets rid of toxins and leaves one felling light and clear. If we don’t flush our all the poop first thing then it gets stuck in the walls of the colon and you can reabsorb the toxins you are trying to get out.
- Sit down in a comfortable position to meditate. I like to do my meditation before exercise, but you can switch the order according to what works for you.
2. Getting comfortable: Find a quiet place. You can sit in a chair or on the floor. I sit on the floor on top of 2 pillows and then put a pillow under each knee. Use a blanket if it is chilly. Experiment and find out what feels best to you. If sitting in a chair sit with feet flat and hands resting on the legs.
3. How to from beginning to end:
A.) Get present: Take a few deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth with the eyes open gazing forward. Then close your eyes and breath through your nose. Feel the weight of your body on the floor and the weight of your hands on your thighs. Do a body scan from head to toe and feel where you may be holding tension. Observe your mind from a non judgmental place. Just take notice of any thoughts like watching clouds move across the sky. Avoid trying to stop the thoughts. Just take notice. How do we learn about our minds, our beliefs, and our patterns? We sit and listen and feel.
B.) Cultivate Gratitude: Invite in a sense of gratitude for everything in your life. All you have experienced up to this point has made you who you are today so be grateful for all. Gratitude is the most healing emotion and it invites in opportunity for your dreams to become a reality.
C.) Choose your mantra to embody:
A mantra is words that have no meaning that you repeat to yourself. Hum Sa is a good one. Say Hum on the inhale, and Sa on the exhale. This helps keep you focused on relaxing and breathing.
You may also pick an attribute you want to feel and enhance in yourself. Such as: Love, Gratitude, Peace, Power, Motivation, Listening, etc. On an inhale say “Greatest”, and on the exhale your “Word”!! This works great for changing the nuero pathways in your brain. Our brain gets stuck in the same busy patterns over and over that often don’t serve us very well. If your mind is busy and distracted come back to this over and over. I do this when I wake and throughout the day when my mind gets going.
D.) Expand your Conciousness: We are spacious and expansive. Did you know that we are mostly space. In every cell there is mostly space. On an inhale draw into your own sense of light and power at your core. You are a unique expression of divine consciousness. You are a special gem in the web that connects us all. On an exhale expand out to every cell of your body felling a sense of well being spread through every cell. Repeat. Each time expand out further beyond your body to the room, house, neighborhood, country, world, solar system, and then beyond to all the other solar systems, and then beyond your imagination. We live on a blue and green planet that revolves around a big ball of fire that is nearly 100 times the size of earth. We have a room that circles us and pulls our oceans with its gravity. There are 200-300 estimated other galaxies out there. That means other suns and planets and moons. So become connected in the universe and feel expansive! Let this bring you a sense of peace, joy connectedness, and spaciousness.
E.) Closing: At the end of an exhale, take a stretch rounding your back forward like a cat stretches. If you are sitting on the floor place your finger tips spread wide on the floor and walk your hands away from you as you fold forward rounding your head toward the floor. This is especially potent first thing in the morning. Then sit back up slowly and take another few breaths (as many as you like) of complete calmness and centeredness. Bring your hands to your heart in gratitude. Take your hands to your third eye inviting your intuition to be strong today and bow your head toward your heart. Gently release and open your eyes.
4. Move gracefully and intentionally throughout your day.
You can come back to this calmness throughout the day by simply taking 3 deep breaths and feeling joy and gratitude. Do this whenever you feel tense or anxious and you will change the hormones rushing through your brain and body to a more healthy and helpful state.
There are some fun things available from the world wide web that I recommend too. One is an app called Headspace. It has 10 free 10 min meditations that lay out the mindset for meditation in an easy to learn way. Also Omharmonics on You tube has great 10-15 minute music for meditation that has the diurnal beats to balance your brain and help you go deeper.
After meditation: I do a morning workout next. Working out early in the morning boost your energy for the whole day! 20-30 minutes in enough. Go for a brisk walk or jog, do a demanding yoga practice, or a circuit training. Check out my post on morning routine here! Enjoy and let me know how it goes!!!
Would you like to have daily meditation practice for greater peace and ease in your life? Email me and let me know your health goals! I would love to have a deeper conversation!