Go to VibrantHealthEvolution.com
Kaizen is a Japanese word meaning ‘good change’ or to ‘to become good through change’.
It is a philosophy that encourages small continuous change. The whole focus is to create change that is so fun and easy that we reprogram our brains. Then we can stop fearing new behavior and change. When you take small steps your brain will start removing obstacles and create new neuron connections. We can thus avoid going into a stress response, which will ultimately give us a lot more opportunity and possibility in life!
Kaizen gradually leads us into change, helping us establish new routines in small doses. Then we can expand on it later as the pattern turns into a habit! You will be amazed at how noticeable change enters your life and healthy habits become the norm. You will have broken free of your fear of failing without trying hard at all.
5 Kaizen pearls (check out Nicolas Carter’s book, Kaizen):
- HOW instead of WHY!!! – Let your problems be projects, let your challenges be opportunities, when you are down in the weeds plant a seed of intention that leads you to creating the life you love! Negativity causes us to go backward from where we want to be. Ask How can I do it, instead of thinking why it can’t be done. In fact you don’t even have to know How! Just set the intention, put it out there into the universe and look for the good! The universe will give us everything we ask for! Drop excuses and Take action!!!
- Drop Judgment, Perfection, and Pleasing! – These Saboteurs will stop our dreams from becoming a reality. Notice your judge, ask him or here to step aside for Deep Curiosity instead! Drop Perfection and just take action! You will learn and make adjustments as you go along. Pleasing – We want people to like us, we all want to love and be loved. And if you drop the pleasing and think of serving others instead you will find you take much better care of yourself and your needs. And you are much more likable moving from what you want not from what you think others want.
- Your true Potential gets Revealed only in times of Hardship!! – Everything is a gift, your life experiences are there to help you evolve into your highest level of consciousness. So in the hard times intend to be your best self, drop the pity or victim mindset. Dive into whatever is present with curiosity, love, patience, and learning. You will become a better person than before.
- Ask WHAT and WHY five times!!! – What do you really want? and WHY? What feelings do you want to experience? Why is it important to be healthy for you? What are your gifts to this world? Tapping into these answers on a deeper and deeper level is so key to any habit change. Our old behaviors will draw us back in and we need to be clear on why we want to be a better person, experience higher health, perform at our best, improve our relationships, etc.
- Go for Wisdom instead of Knowledge! – Wisdom is the ability to follow your own advise based on your own experiences, intuition and inner guidance. Feel into your own body, sit in silence and listen!!!! Drop the Ego, it gets us in lots of trouble, and do what is deeply best for you!
Examples of how to apply Kaizen to Habit Change:
- Want to have a daily meditation practice? Feel intimidating? Don’t have time? Start with 1 minute a day!!! That’s it!!!! Find a comfortable seat, breath, and take notice of whatever shows up in your body, mind and emotions from a non judgmental place.
- Want to Eat Better? Having a hard time giving up those cookies, alcohol, soda, caffeine? Just give it up one day a week. Or cut out one a day! Then congratulate yourself for the success. The next week go for 2 days!
- Exercise? Have you been meaning to get that in everyday and somehow it slips by? Do 1 minute every morning! No matter what. You commit and you just do it. It’s only 1 min. The next week do 2 min.!!! Maybe you start with a 90 sec workout like this: 30 sec push ups, 30 sec. sit ups, 30 sec. squats or squat jumps! Go for 3 min. the next week (1 min of each).
You get the picture!
Make it so EASY you can say No!!
Make it Fun!!!!
If you want to learn more about how to have:
10 Habits of Extremely Healthy and Happy People,
then check this out!
Here are some recipes for you from a recent dinner. Cooking healthy is fun!!!
Yummy Beet Tomato salad:
- Roasted beets diced – (bake in the oven covered at 400 F for 1 hour, the outside just peels right off)
- Tomatoes diced
- Basil – lots
- Cucumber diced
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sprouts are good in there too!
- Portobello mushrooms
- Vidalia onion
- Pumpkin seeds
- Teriaki sauce (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Coconut oil and ghee
Melt coconut oil and ghee (clarified butter – see video on how to make it here) in the frying pan, add onions and any spices you like (i often use curry spices like turmeric, ginger, cumin, and coriander) and of course salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and carrots next for 5 min. and then add the brocoli. Teriaki is a big hit with kids as it has a nice sweet taste. It only takes a little. Add Pumpkin seeds at the end! Enjoy!!!
This is a delicious fermented form of soy that is a lot better for us than tofu. It is less processed and has more texture and flavor too.
Slice the tempe and put copious amounts of melted coconut oil and ghee on the tempe with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast (loaded with B vitamins and delicious). Get it at the health food store in bulk or in spice section.
Bake the Tempe at 400 F for 10 min. Then flip and bake 10 more min. Make sure it has enough oil not to dry out! Delicious!!!
Cook in microwave for 6 min wrapped in paper towel that is damp, or in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil for 45 min at 400 F with your beets.
Add melted coconut oil and ghee, salt and pepper and cinnamon!
Notice how I cook with the coconut oil and ghee (clarified butter)! These oils are so good and they do well with high heat. Olive oil should not be heated. It is good on salads, but it denatures with high heat.
Subtle to Physical
Subtle energy, like our thoughts and feelings, forms nueropathways in our brains. It’s like if you have a drip coming down on a mountain top. It rolls down, and over time forms a deeper and deeper groove. We repeat thoughts, experiences, and emotions over and over in life. They stay with us unless we shift them and create a new pathway. Often we need one that serves us better. And these subtle energies over time show up in our bodies. For me, I sense that my wrist injury has a lot of fear tied up in there, so the work I do is with that fear and with the subconscious. This is proving to be more helpful than surgery. Our emotions get stuck in the body, so healing the body means taking a look at our thoughts and feelings. What is the underlying belief, and how can I shift it?
Listen to what goes through your brain? Ask yourself these questions:
- Is it True?
- Is it Necessary?
- Is it Kind?
When we pass the thoughts through this filter it helps us shift away from fears and worries that are not even true. We can avoid saying things that don’t need to be said to ourselves or others. We can let go of the negative, unsupportive, self talk. We choose to Invite in KINDNESS! (Toward yourself and others.) This serves us so much better. Keep shifting over and over again throughout the day to self talk that is kind.
Does it serve us? Worrying is one of the most detrimental things we can do. It puts the body in a stress response. We experience the thing we are worrying about as if it already happen. So worrying about death is like dying twice (or over and over again)! Our brains do not know the difference between what we imagine or watch on tv and what is actually happening. So we get the rush of stress hormones. You may have heard the saying ‘Stress Kills’. Why? A constant overload of stress hormones causes our Cortisol to go up. Too much Cortisol can kill.
Alternately, try letting go of worry. Stay present in this moment. “Are you ok Now?” Take some deep breaths. Try adopting some of these beliefs instead:
- Lean back and Trust
- The universe has my back
- Everything is a gift
- The universe will provide the exact experience I need for the highest evolution of my consciousness
- Others will experience the exact experiences they need to best learn and grow
Check out this blog where I talk about how to shift from a Stress Respnse to a Relaxation Response!!!
Limiting beliefs are underlying beliefs set in our subconcious mind that determine how we react and percieve the world. They mostly develop in childhood to protect us somehow. In adulthood they limit us from being our best self!
So as you pay attention to your self talk, you will get some clues as to your underlying beliefs. Once you discover it, then take notice of what the TRIGGERS (person, place, emotion, event) are that bring it up? Then come up with a Higher Truth to replace it. We can rewire our brains. It works like this!
- Come up with the new Belief you want to instill
- Make it very similiar to the old belief as this is easiest to shift in the subconcious
- Repeat the new belief every morning and night for 60-90 days, and as often as you can through out the day
- Forgive!!! This is an importance piece of letting go of the old belief. Sit still and ask where in your heart you need to forgive.
- Let Go!
Here are some examples of how you may rewrite your beliefs:
- I am not good enough = I am absolutely good enough
- I am not capable = I am totally capable
- I don’t have enough time = I have the exact right amount of time
- I can’t do it = I can do it
- I am not loveable = I am absolutely loveable
- My body is not healing = My body is a powerful healing machine
You get the idea!
Check out this Guided Meditation on Shifting Limiting Beliefs to Higher Truths!
Victim vs. Accountability
First be aware of when you are blaming or when you are in the victim role. It is eay to do. And we get to have lots of drama, and maybe get lots of sympathy. We get to be right! It keeps us stuck though, and we give away our Power!
Try taking accountability for everything in your life. You have the power to create, change, and mold your own life. Here are some necessary steps:
- Recognize when you are in the victim role or blaming
- Know that this does not serve you well
- Recognize what you get out of being in this role
- Be willing to let go of that for more power and control of your life
- Pause and Breath so deep relaxing breaths from the belly
- Choose Accountability
Now is the time to take your health to the next level! You will love these habits that give you:
- more energy
- better sleep
- lower anxiety and less overwhelm
- ability to listen to and heal your body
- power maximize your potential!
- greater ease to improve relationships
If you haven’t tried smoothies, give it a go. They are delicious and packed with nutrients. Ingredients:
- frozen fruit
- acai juice
- omega oil
- pumpkin seeds
- thistle – How to harvest video!
- adzuki sprouts
- pea sprouts
- broccoli sprouts
- alfalfa sprouts
My two year old, Bodhi, loves them!
Our Habits determine who we are. So much of what we do is habit. Meaning not conscious but engrained in our survival brain. Yet it is possible to change our habits, rewire our brains, and step into our highest potential!
So make your habits support you into the most vibrant joyous future you can imagine!!!!
Here is a 3 part video series that I have made for you! Enjoy and please connect with me after and let me know what is on your mind!!!
First Video : This video guides you in Navigating where you are Now and where you want to be!
Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible! -Francis De Assisi
Have you heard how good meditation is for you? It calms your central nervous system, balances out your brain waves, and allows you to come to a place of peace. It takes practice so get started now and you will be on your way to enlightenment. Here are a few tips to get started.
1. When: I enjoy an early morning practice. When you wake you are already pretty calm and you can go deeper and more easily into the meditation. Ideally going to bed at 9-10pm and waking at 5-6am is the best for maximum energy.
- Upon first waking before moving at all bring your mind and heart to a place of gratitude. Usually we go to our to do list or busy thinking. Going to gratitude first will set you up for a gracious day.
- Next scrap your tongue to get rid of the toxins. The tongue is a filter and eliminates toxins so scrapping those off is helpful. Then you can taste your food better too and deeply listen to what your body needs. Your tongue is a very advanced organ that is connected to your whole body. When you put something on your tongue, Your tongue will tell you whether it is good for you or not.
- Third, drink warm water up to 1.5 liters to fully eliminate. This also gets rid of toxins and leaves one felling light and clear. If we don’t flush our all the poop first thing then it gets stuck in the walls of the colon and you can reabsorb the toxins you are trying to get out.
- Sit down in a comfortable position to meditate. I like to do my meditation before exercise, but you can switch the order according to what works for you.
2. Getting comfortable: Find a quiet place. You can sit in a chair or on the floor. I sit on the floor on top of 2 pillows and then put a pillow under each knee. Use a blanket if it is chilly. Experiment and find out what feels best to you. If sitting in a chair sit with feet flat and hands resting on the legs.
3. How to from beginning to end:
A.) Get present: Take a few deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth with the eyes open gazing forward. Then close your eyes and breath through your nose. Feel the weight of your body on the floor and the weight of your hands on your thighs. Do a body scan from head to toe and feel where you may be holding tension. Observe your mind from a non judgmental place. Just take notice of any thoughts like watching clouds move across the sky. Avoid trying to stop the thoughts. Just take notice. How do we learn about our minds, our beliefs, and our patterns? We sit and listen and feel.
B.) Cultivate Gratitude: Invite in a sense of gratitude for everything in your life. All you have experienced up to this point has made you who you are today so be grateful for all. Gratitude is the most healing emotion and it invites in opportunity for your dreams to become a reality.
C.) Choose your mantra to embody:
A mantra is words that have no meaning that you repeat to yourself. Hum Sa is a good one. Say Hum on the inhale, and Sa on the exhale. This helps keep you focused on relaxing and breathing.
You may also pick an attribute you want to feel and enhance in yourself. Such as: Love, Gratitude, Peace, Power, Motivation, Listening, etc. On an inhale say “Greatest”, and on the exhale your “Word”!! This works great for changing the nuero pathways in your brain. Our brain gets stuck in the same busy patterns over and over that often don’t serve us very well. If your mind is busy and distracted come back to this over and over. I do this when I wake and throughout the day when my mind gets going.
D.) Expand your Conciousness: We are spacious and expansive. Did you know that we are mostly space. In every cell there is mostly space. On an inhale draw into your own sense of light and power at your core. You are a unique expression of divine consciousness. You are a special gem in the web that connects us all. On an exhale expand out to every cell of your body felling a sense of well being spread through every cell. Repeat. Each time expand out further beyond your body to the room, house, neighborhood, country, world, solar system, and then beyond to all the other solar systems, and then beyond your imagination. We live on a blue and green planet that revolves around a big ball of fire that is nearly 100 times the size of earth. We have a room that circles us and pulls our oceans with its gravity. There are 200-300 estimated other galaxies out there. That means other suns and planets and moons. So become connected in the universe and feel expansive! Let this bring you a sense of peace, joy connectedness, and spaciousness.
E.) Closing: At the end of an exhale, take a stretch rounding your back forward like a cat stretches. If you are sitting on the floor place your finger tips spread wide on the floor and walk your hands away from you as you fold forward rounding your head toward the floor. This is especially potent first thing in the morning. Then sit back up slowly and take another few breaths (as many as you like) of complete calmness and centeredness. Bring your hands to your heart in gratitude. Take your hands to your third eye inviting your intuition to be strong today and bow your head toward your heart. Gently release and open your eyes.
4. Move gracefully and intentionally throughout your day.
You can come back to this calmness throughout the day by simply taking 3 deep breaths and feeling joy and gratitude. Do this whenever you feel tense or anxious and you will change the hormones rushing through your brain and body to a more healthy and helpful state.
There are some fun things available from the world wide web that I recommend too. One is an app called Headspace. It has 10 free 10 min meditations that lay out the mindset for meditation in an easy to learn way. Also Omharmonics on You tube has great 10-15 minute music for meditation that has the diurnal beats to balance your brain and help you go deeper.
After meditation: I do a morning workout next. Working out early in the morning boost your energy for the whole day! 20-30 minutes in enough. Go for a brisk walk or jog, do a demanding yoga practice, or a circuit training. Check out my post on morning routine here! Enjoy and let me know how it goes!!!
Would you like to have daily meditation practice for greater peace and ease in your life? Email me and let me know your health goals! I would love to have a deeper conversation!